View Full Version : RWS 350 magnum or 460 magnum?

logan
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi guys. I'm a newbee to the site. I am considering buying either an RWS 350 Magnum, or a RWS 460 Magnum. Is there a justification for paying more for the 460? Are there design/performance differences between the guns that are worth considering? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks - Logan

jphnp
03-31-2009, 03:11 PM
I love my .22cal 350 magnum ,it's very accurate.
the common problem that i hear about w/ the 460 is that the blade for the front site is too wide.

i suppose they are both great guns but i'm glad i went for the 350 over the 460.

Jon
03-31-2009, 03:14 PM
AoA has a few used RWS rifles listed right now. The price on that LNIB 350 is not bad at all...

RWS460Shooter
03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
I assume you want to buy this gun for hunting. The 350 loads quicker for follow up shots.
Rob

www.springguntunes.com

logan
04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your input. I'm now looking at a RWS 350 Fuerkraft Combo in .22 cal. Your remarks were helpful in steering me to a break-barrel configuration.- Logan

XXJonnyRebXX
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Logan, just wanted to mention that although my 350 is an awesome gun, it was also an inaccurate one for awhile and heres why,

1. It takes a very tough scope to hold up to the recoil of the 350, long term. Mine ate 6 lesser expensive RWS, BSA and Bushnell(bushy in the pic) scopes before i got lucky with the 4x16 Centerpoint. It is a great scope that costs little($70ish) yet takes the pounding of this gun. Depending on the scope that comes with your combo, be prepared to replace it.

2. The one piece mount or a weaver mount is a must have for this gun. Leapers makes one that not only converts you to the superstrong weaver style mount but also has a lip built into the adapter to eliminate the possibility of the scope mounts sliding backwards. They also has "droop" compensation built in.They are inexpensive($30ish). They work 100%.

3. Keep checking the action screws for torque, or better yet, take them out and loctite them back in. Mine loosened enough to cause accuracy troubles about every 200 shots until i loctited them.

4. My gun is very hold sensitive and if not held the same way every shot, poi changes.
A rest will throw it off for sure. I also went through every brand of pellet to find that my particular gun likes the 18gr. JSB jumbo's, throwing them accurately at 850ish feet a sec, over 27ftlbs. Very impressive but until i could shoot it accurately, a very frustrating gun. Now, 3000 or so shots later, i can think of no gun for the money i'd rather have.

I hope your combo works perfectly and you instantly find this gun to be the most accurate, out of the box gun you've ever owned. If so, my post was for nothing, but if you find that it inexplicably changes poi, 2 out of 5 are always flyers, etc.... remember this post..:D J.R.

Its the one on top.. The one on the bottom didn't last long... actually neither did either scope..

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z252/xxjonnyrebxx/Picture032.jpg

super6
04-02-2009, 03:58 AM
The 350 tuned will outperform the 460 and is a lighter gun to carry around all day. I recommend the short barrel model with the straight stock if it's within your budget. To take it one step further, replace the heavy steel muzzle brake with an aluminum one from muzzle mack to futher lighten the gun and make it an easy handling and pointing gun. As mentioned, stick with a one-piece mount that compensates for droop and Centerpoint or Leapers scopes to handle the recoil. Some versions of the 350 now come with the improved one-piece RWS scope mount in the box.

All the 350 models are the same as far as shooting. I could recommend the least expensive 350 and you lose nothing. I just prefer a lighter gun that is less nose heavy. The RWS Diana guns almost always come from the factory with little or no lubricants in the powerplant and I highly recommend a tune for best performance, smoothness, and longevity.

The 460 is a great gun, ignoring the wide front sight issue. But I think if you're new to air rifles, a .22 RWS350, any version, will be more fun and be used more. If the addiction takes hold then I would suggest the 460 as part of your collection. WELCOME!

Ray

moe1942
04-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I have a 350 and I can say the fit and finish are worthy of a gun much higher priced. I haven't shot it more than ten times so don't know what kind if accuracy it has. I need to scope it and y'all gave some very good tips on what I need.

logan
04-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks a bunch. xx johnny rebxx and super6. Your remarks are very helpful. The 350 Fuerkraft Compact in .22cal I am looking at comes with an RWS lock-down mount and RWS 3-9x40 scope. I looked at the BSA 3-12x44 scope but wasn't sure there was enough difference to justify the extra cost. I'll keep you posted. - Logan

C_A_P
04-02-2009, 12:39 PM
350 is a far better field rifle to use. The 4609 is good but not as fast in the field. The .22 can be tweaked a lot . If you want maximum power and knockdown ability. I do not like under levers personally.

super6
04-02-2009, 01:09 PM
logan:
the BSA may have slightly better optics but it is not as rugged as the Centerpoints or Leapers which are made in the same factory. Hawke has higher quality scopes for airguns which cost more. Check out Pyramydair.com as their prices are usually very good. Sportsmansguide.com carries Centerpoint and planet optics or optics planet carries Leapers and offers free shipping. I think I saw a new Leapers 3-12x44 30mm at Pyramyd with side focus AO that would be a nice way to go.

Ray

logan
04-02-2009, 03:31 PM
After handling both the 350 and 460, I am inclined to agree with you.With my big fingers I found it more awkward to load the 460. Thanks - Logan

XXJonnyRebXX
04-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Amazing how everyone on this forum is so on the same page, some places would have a 1/2 dozen different and conflicting posts...who knows what you'd end up with in the end. Everything i've seen posted is dead on so far as i know and should make your decision quite easy....make sure and post with anymore questions or when you bring that new baby home....wait till you hear how loud the steel rings out at 50yrds....what a beast:thumb: J